How I Survived The Master Cleanse:
Today is the day after my 10 day Master Cleanse Lemonade Detox Diet. This morning I weighed in at 173.4 meaning I have officially lost 7.6 pounds. (I definitely wanted to lose 10lbs, but I’ll surely take the 7lbs).
My reason for beginning the MC was solely for weight loss purposes. I knew detoxing would be a great jumpstart to my weight loss goals and force me to get serious about putting healthier foods into my body.
The MC for me was the beginning of a lifestyle change.
Days 1 – 5:
The first 3 days weren’t horrible, but definitely tough. I think the idea of NOT doing something you’re so used to doing is what hurts the most; I couldn’t chew. This cleanse definitely taught me not to take chewing for granted. LOL! I ended up chewing crushed ice some days just to feel that chewing sensation again.
#PlotTwist: No chewing gum either!
I made it through about 7-9 glasses a day on days 2-4.
Days 4 and 5 were also tough because it felt like I was in limbo. It felt like turning 19. You’re almost 21, but not quite there and still can’t do anything at 19. I had five to six days left, which felt like an eternity, but I was also approaching my halfway point so why stop now?!
Days 6, 7, and 8 were over the weekend and surprisingly, the weekend made it somewhat easier. I didn’t think about food because I wasn’t surrounded by it and I didn’t have to leave the house early in the AM.
BUT at this point, I was over drinking lemonade. I wanted nothing more to do with it and hated how it started to feel against my teeth and taste buds. When I say I barely made it to my required six cups a day…LordT. Water was holding me over.
I wanted to quit. It was exhausting and I was over it.
Saturday, I went without “eating” until about 3pm and felt fine. It wasn’t until my mom and grandma had me running errands with them for hours that I finally felt like I was shutting down. I wasn’t prepared to be out for so long with no food (drink) and ended up feeling super sick after chugging four glasses just to meet the minimum of six; it didn’t feel good.
Days 9 and 10 were just like the final stretch. Day 9 was a tease because I knew 10 was so close and I just wanted to stop and transition right then and there. Day 10 was a drag because work went by excruciatingly slow, but I made it!
Life After Cleansing:
Because you have to ease back into solids, you’re basically fasting for about 12-15 days if you stop at day 10. Although my MC journey ended yesterday, I still have to endure the transitioning process.
Being the first day since completing the MC, I have to drink orange juice all day. The next steps are dependent on your previous diet and whether you were vegetarian or a meat and dairy eater. The second day after the MC, I am instructed to drink OJ in the morning and at lunch, and a vegetable broth (maybe soup) for dinner. The third day after the MC, soup is permitted with raw fruits and veggies; maybe a salad. You can return to eating normally on the fourth day, but are encouraged to make healthy choices.
Friends who have done the MC all suggested being extremely careful in eating heavily and having fried or bready foods immediately after. From my research, I’ve also noted to stay away from dairy, milk, and eggs especially, as they create toxins in the body (the PDF goes more into detail on this).
Just Do IT!
For the people who immediately say they can’t do it – YOU CAN! It’s ALL mental. As long as you’re mentally prepared, you can definitely do this! All you seriously have to do is stay on top of your lemonade prep and monitor your intake. You’ll be fine! I was going to say it’s a piece of cake, but….yeah, no. LOL.
I would allot $100 for materials and ingredients for the 10 days.
- I purchased my lemons in bulk from Sams Club for $25 (5 bags) and only ended up using 4 and 1/2.
- Organic maple syrup from Wal-Mart ran about $6-8 per bottle (they didn’t have 100% in big bottles near me). I needed 4.
- The cayenne pepper was already in the cabinet so I didn’t need to buy that.
- A pack of 12 mason jars, 12 straws, and 4 lids were about $20 from Wal-Mart. I also got my lemon juicer at Wal-Mart for $4.
- I also got my herbal laxative tea (Smooth Move) from Wal-Mart.
- Sprouts had the vegetable broth, orange juice and organic soup for my transition back to solids so include that also.
- You’ll also need sea salt for the salt water flush you’re required to do every morning.
- I’m almost 100 percent sure my stomach shrank. There were days I wouldn’t get hungry at all and had to force myself to drink the lemonade.
- I worked out (tennis) while cleansing and didn’t feel weak, extra tired or hungry while doing so.
- Some days I’d get tired, but when I needed energy, it was always there.
- The lemonade was amazing. It tasted like Chick-Fil-A’s to me most days, which is why the sweetness of it got irritating after a while. Some days I was seriously ready to shatter all 6 of my glasses, but I quickly learned to make fresh batches and keep them at room temperature for the best taste.
- You WILL go to the bathroom often, be prepared.
- I feel empty…that’s for sure. No bloating and my stomach is visibly flatter.
- My skin cleared up A LOT, even this one problem area that’s been around for years!
I would definitely suggest cleansing because it’s a necessary reset. It isn’t hard to do, just annoying at times. It’s easier with a great support system and preparation. Don’t let yourself get hungry! I read something about taking probiotics to replenish the good bacteria in your body upon finishing the cleanse and be careful with eating lots of fiber because it could cause constipation.
RandomFor those who are underweight and worried about losing more weight, REMEMBER, the only things you can possibly lose are mucus; waste, and disease. Healthy tissue will not be eliminated.
[pullquote width=”300″ float=”left”]Sources:
If you have any questions, ASK! I have learned SO much from this cleanse that I don’t mind sharing at all! And I just typed this up before work so I could definitely be missing some things so again, feel free to ask.
Happy cleansing & good luck!